Willie divided the pub and shop into two seperate dwellings and gave the pub to his daughter Nell, and the shop to Mary (better known as 'Mimi').
Gerald Sears married Nell Long (also a school teacher) in 1937. The tiles on the floor of the lounge were laid in 1936 by Gerald and his brother Martin.
Gearald ran the pub until Easter 1992 when it was taken over by his nephew Diarmuid (Martin's son).
The name 'John Long' remained over the door until Gearald passed away in 1994 and the name was changed to 'Tigh an tSaorsaigh' as it was known by the locals.
The bar is of a type known as an 'Honest Bar' as you can see what's going on behind the counter at all times. It was crafted by Gearald from the mast of a ship.
The lintel of the fireplace is of pitch pine installed in 1870 and the floor is of Valentia Slate and Liscannor Stone (great for dancing).
An original aviators map of the area from a German war plane which crashed on Mount Brandon in 1940 can be seen on the wall of the lounge today.